Cherrywood In-Person Retreat
May 10-14, 2021
North Star Retreat Center
200 Melby Ave.
Heather, owner of North Star Retreat and Cherrywood Ambassador, will provide a welcoming atmosphere that relieves the tension in your shoulders. Work at your own pace without any pressure. Take a walk around the quaint farm town of Ashby. Sip coffee on the patio. Cook a nice meal...or not. It's really a place that is all about creating and making new friends.
• 5 days and 4 nights
• Very laid-back, casual, unstructured environment. This is NOT an intense retreat! We are here to have fun and feed off each other’s creativity!
• 11,000 sq. ft. church with 21 beds (shared bedrooms) and 7 bathrooms. Comfortable bedding, towels, bathroom products, paper products, drinking water and coffee provided.
• Help and encouragement on your own projects. Do you have a Cherrywood kit that you haven’t started/finished? Bring it!
• Karla Overland, owner of Cherrywood Fabrics will be on hand to help with projects, talk about color choices, give spontaneous demonstrations and show you some fabric!
• Optional project: “Summer Village” by Laundry Basket Quilts. Kit available for pre-order or at the retreat. We will be using Edita Sytar's Quilt-along video
• Onsite Cherrywood store with TONS of color inspiration!
• Check in as early as 9:00 am Monday, and check out on Friday, by noon. Call Heather to arrange extended stay: 612-750-7681.
• Any dates before May 10 or after May 14 are an additional cost.
Synthrapol: hard to pronounce, easy to use.
In the dyeing process, we use hot water and a Concentrated Surfactant (detergent) called Synthrapol to remove excess dye. This product suspends dye particles in water that have not bonded to the fibers. It does not change the color of the fabric. Darker colors have a high concentration of dye so pre-washing our fabrics at home is highly recommended to ensure color does not migrate. Cherrywood has already been washed 4 times in HOT water with Synthrapol before it leaves our studio. Please follow the directions below to make sure everything "behaves."
FIRST TIME Washing (Prewashing):
We encourage you to prewash all of your Cherrywood in a full load of HOT or WARM water with 2 teaspoons of Synthrapol. If you see a large amount of color in the WARM rinse water, a second wash may be necessary. Synthrapol keeps those released dyes from reattaching onto other fabrics. If you have a front-loading machine, you may need to wash more or use a laundry tub. Similar colors may be washed together as long as you use Synthrapol, but is wise to make keep very dark colors separate from very light colors while prewashing. We have tested Color Catcher Sheets by Shout: they work well but may leave a lint residue on the fabric.
SUBSEQUENT Washing (Finished quilts, garments, etc.):
Wash finished projects in Synthrapol in COLD water for the first several times. This is just a good practice to ensure the dyes behave. Complete the COLD cycle. Synthrapol is an inexpensive product to have on hand to use whenever washing hand-dyes and batiks.
Drying and Pressing:
Remove fabric from dryer when slightly damp and press with a dry iron. If dry, lightly mist with water and iron to remove wrinkles. DO NOT let finished quilts/garments air-dry as this may cause wicking (the dyes are pulled from one fabric into the next if they dry too slowly). It is recommended to dry projects in the dryer. Use steam, or lightly spritz with water and use a dry iron when pressing Cherrywood garments to keep them looking crisp.
• Cherrywood is preshrunk. It has been washed a minimum of four times and dried in a hot dryer before it is sold to you. Be sure to pre-shrink any other fabrics that you are combining with Cherrywood in a project.
• Cherrywood is colorfast. As with ALL textiles, keep Cherrywood out of prolonged harsh sunlight, and it will retain its rich color.
Questions? Please call 1-888-298-0967