Cherrywood In-Person Retreat May 18-22, 2022
Wednesday thru Sunday
May 18 - 22, 2022
North Star Retreat Center
200 Melby Ave.
Heather, owner of North Star Retreat and Cherrywood Ambassador, will provide a welcoming atmosphere that relieves the tension in your shoulders. Work at your own pace without any pressure. Take a walk around the quaint farm town of Ashby. Sip coffee on the patio. Cook a nice meal...or not. It's really a place that is all about creating and making new friends.
$365 per person
($350 for returning retreat guests)
• 5 days and 4 nights
• Very laid-back, casual, unstructured environment. This is NOT an intense retreat! We are here to have fun and feed off each other’s creativity! Sew at your own pace. Work when you want, eat when you want, sleep when you want!
• 11,000 sq. ft. converted church
(please note there are stairs and no elevator)
• 5 shared bedrooms with a total of 21 beds
• 7 bathrooms
• Comfortable bedding, towels, bathroom products, paper products, drinking water and coffee are provided.
Bring Your Unfinished Cherrywood Projects!
Optional Projects we will explore at the retreat:
• Meal options for additional charge ($120). Otherwise, food is on your own. Commercial kitchen on premises. Grocery store 1 block away. Ashby has a small cafe and Battle Lake is about 30 minutes away with several restaurants.
• Heather's newly-designed store - The Rainbow Room - is chock full of Cherrywood bundles, yardage, patterns, kits...with TONS of color inspiration!
• Check in as early as 9:00 am Wednesday, and check out on Sunday, by noon.
Want to see The Diana Cherrywood Challenge on display before it is taken down?
The Diana Challenge: Diamond, Pearl & Rose Collections
will be hanging at North Star Retreat Center
May 6-14, 2022
• Any dates before May 18 or after May 22 are an additional cost. Call Heather to arrange extended stay: 612-750-7681.
Synthrapol: hard to pronounce, easy to use.
In the dyeing process, we use hot water and a Concentrated Surfactant (detergent) called Synthrapol to remove excess dye. This product suspends dye particles in water that have not bonded to the fibers. It does not change the color of the fabric. Darker colors have a high concentration of dye so pre-washing our fabrics at home is highly recommended to ensure color does not migrate. Cherrywood has already been washed 4 times in HOT water with Synthrapol before it leaves our studio. Please follow the directions below to make sure everything "behaves."
FIRST TIME Washing (Prewashing):
We encourage you to prewash all of your Cherrywood in a full load of WARM or COLD water with 2 teaspoons of Synthrapol. If you see a large amount of color in the rinse water, a second wash may be necessary. Synthrapol keeps those released dyes from reattaching onto other fabrics. If you have a front-loading machine, you may need to wash more times or use a laundry tub. Similar colors may be washed together as long as you use Synthrapol, but is wise to make keep very dark colors separate from very light colors while prewashing. We have tested Color Catcher Sheets by Shout: they work well but may leave a lint residue on the fabric.
SUBSEQUENT Washing (Finished quilts, garments, etc.):
Wash finished projects in Synthrapol in COLD water for the first several times. This is just a good practice to ensure the dyes behave. Complete the COLD cycle. Synthrapol is an inexpensive product to have on hand to use whenever washing hand-dyes and batiks.
Drying and Pressing:
Remove fabric from dryer when slightly damp and press with a dry iron. If dry, lightly mist with water and iron to remove wrinkles. DO NOT let finished quilts/garments air-dry as this may cause wicking (the dyes are pulled from one fabric into the next if they dry too slowly). It is recommended to dry projects in the dryer. Use steam, or lightly spritz with water and use a dry iron when pressing Cherrywood garments to keep them looking crisp.
• Cherrywood is preshrunk. It has been washed a minimum of four times and dried in a hot dryer before it is sold to you. Be sure to pre-shrink any other fabrics that you are combining with Cherrywood in a project.
• Cherrywood is colorfast. As with ALL textiles, keep Cherrywood out of prolonged harsh sunlight, and it will retain its rich color.
Questions? Please call 1-888-298-0967