Star Storm Mini
40" x 40"
Designed by Victoria Findlay Wolfe
The mini version of this wonderful pattern packs a punch and goes together quickly!
We combined two 8-step gradation Fat Quarter Bundles to make this go together even faster! By simply making strip sets of all 8 colors in the bundle, then using the pattern templates to cut out the wedges, you get an instant 3-D effect in the star.
- Fabric equivalent to 16 Fat Quarters
- Christmas Version (Salsa, Scarlet, Green Medley)
- Blue Version (Indigo to Light and Violet Medley)
- Arizona/Potters Wheel
- Forest Floor/Midnight Garden
- Sports Theme: Cowboys, Vikings, Gophers, Maroon, Packers
- Customize it to your team colors! Great for Graduation presents!
- Order 2 yards each of two colors, or throw in a half yard of a third to customize your wall-hanging to your favorite team.
- TIP: make a new template of the inner star by combining the inner star and next two strips into one shape (remember to add seam allowance!)
- *Please note: recommended to use as a wall hanging that will not get washed because of the extreme dark colors with white. Pre-wash with Synthrapol.
Synthrapol: hard to pronounce, easy to use.
In the dyeing process, we use hot water and a Concentrated Surfactant (detergent) called Synthrapol to remove excess dye. This product suspends dye particles in water that have not bonded to the fibers. It does not change the color of the fabric. Darker colors have a high concentration of dye so pre-washing our fabrics at home is highly recommended to ensure color does not migrate. Cherrywood has already been washed 4 times in HOT water with Synthrapol before it leaves our studio. Please follow the directions below to make sure everything "behaves."
FIRST TIME Washing (Prewashing):
We encourage you to prewash all of your Cherrywood in a full load of WARM or COLD water with 2 teaspoons of Synthrapol. If you see a large amount of color in the rinse water, a second wash may be necessary. Synthrapol keeps those released dyes from reattaching onto other fabrics. If you have a front-loading machine, you may need to wash more times or use a laundry tub. Similar colors may be washed together as long as you use Synthrapol, but is wise to make keep very dark colors separate from very light colors while prewashing. Super dark colors may be washed in NOT water if there are concerns (this will flush out extra dye quicker). We have tested Color Catcher Sheets by Shout: they work well but may leave a lint residue on the fabric. There is no harm in using both products at once.
SUBSEQUENT Washing (Finished quilts, garments, etc.):
Wash finished projects in Synthrapol in COLD water for the first several times. This is just a good practice to ensure the dyes behave. Complete the COLD cycle. Synthrapol is an inexpensive product to have on hand to use whenever washing hand-dyes and batiks.
Drying and Pressing:
Remove fabric from dryer when slightly damp and press with a dry iron. If dry, lightly mist with water and iron to remove wrinkles. DO NOT let finished quilts/garments air-dry as this may cause wicking (the dyes are pulled from one fabric into the next if they dry too slowly). It is recommended to dry projects in the dryer. Use steam, or lightly spritz with water and use a dry iron when pressing Cherrywood garments to keep them looking crisp.
• Cherrywood is preshrunk. It has been washed a minimum of four times and dried in a hot dryer before it is sold to you. Be sure to pre-shrink any other fabrics that you are combining with Cherrywood in a project.
• Cherrywood is colorfast. As with ALL textiles, keep Cherrywood out of prolonged harsh sunlight, and it will retain its rich color.
Questions? Please call 1-888-298-0967