Graffiti Challenge 2022
The Graffiti Cherrywood Challenge
graf·fi·ti: usually unauthorized writing or drawing on a public surface
Graffiti ranges from simple written words to elaborate wall paintings, and has existed since ancient times. For this challenge, we will focus on the graphic beauty and intense colors of this urban expression.
DUE DATE: May 1, 2022 5:00 pm CST
The wildly popular Cherrywood Challenge is back for it's 7th year! The striking exhibit creates a cohesive visual impact with artwork using the same theme, same size, same fabric and same colors.
Create an original quilted artwork with a LIMITED COLOR PALETTE
Price ($65.00) INCLUDES:
We are thrilled to work with Mistyfuse brand fusible web! This extra-fine webbing keeps fabric light and easy to work with. Create any shape you want for your challenge without worrying about the glue melting away during multiple pressing.
Learn more about Mistyfuse and Goddess Sheets at www.mistyfuse.com
- Add color and texture with threadwork, embroidery, couching (See our Stringy Bits!), fabric paint (there are lots of neon colors on the market), fabric markers, colored pencils, ink pens, etc, etc!
- A Goddess Sheet is recommended for working with Mistyfuse. The fiberglass sheet is great for ANY crafting project.
- Purchase Karlee Porter's book "Graffiti Quilting Vol. 2" to learn to quilt like a pro! Karlee quilted our sample quilt.
- Our 20" square template makes trimming to the required size a snap!
NEED MORE FABRIC?
Have you already purchased the bundle but need a little more of any of the colors to complete your contest quilt? Find links here:
Your Finished Quilt for judging
We will collect your name, address, quilt title, artist statement and images at this time.
Synthrapol: hard to pronounce, easy to use.
In the dyeing process, we use hot water and a Concentrated Surfactant (detergent) called Synthrapol to remove excess dye. This product suspends dye particles in water that have not bonded to the fibers. It does not change the color of the fabric. Darker colors have a high concentration of dye so pre-washing our fabrics at home is highly recommended to ensure color does not migrate. Cherrywood has already been washed 4 times in HOT water with Synthrapol before it leaves our studio. Please follow the directions below to make sure everything "behaves."
FIRST TIME Washing (Prewashing):
We encourage you to prewash all of your Cherrywood in a full load of WARM or COLD water with 2 teaspoons of Synthrapol. If you see a large amount of color in the rinse water, a second wash may be necessary. Synthrapol keeps those released dyes from reattaching onto other fabrics. If you have a front-loading machine, you may need to wash more times or use a laundry tub. Similar colors may be washed together as long as you use Synthrapol, but is wise to make keep very dark colors separate from very light colors while prewashing. We have tested Color Catcher Sheets by Shout: they work well but may leave a lint residue on the fabric.
SUBSEQUENT Washing (Finished quilts, garments, etc.):
Wash finished projects in Synthrapol in COLD water for the first several times. This is just a good practice to ensure the dyes behave. Complete the COLD cycle. Synthrapol is an inexpensive product to have on hand to use whenever washing hand-dyes and batiks.
Drying and Pressing:
Remove fabric from dryer when slightly damp and press with a dry iron. If dry, lightly mist with water and iron to remove wrinkles. DO NOT let finished quilts/garments air-dry as this may cause wicking (the dyes are pulled from one fabric into the next if they dry too slowly). It is recommended to dry projects in the dryer. Use steam, or lightly spritz with water and use a dry iron when pressing Cherrywood garments to keep them looking crisp.
• Cherrywood is preshrunk. It has been washed a minimum of four times and dried in a hot dryer before it is sold to you. Be sure to pre-shrink any other fabrics that you are combining with Cherrywood in a project.
• Cherrywood is colorfast. As with ALL textiles, keep Cherrywood out of prolonged harsh sunlight, and it will retain its rich color.
Questions? Please call 1-888-298-0967